2.3K views

Beware of answering employment ads from WERNER TRUCKING. They will send you to a school called TRUCK DRIVER INSTITUTE in which they have an interest (a WERNER TRUCKING sign is also on the front of the building).

After you give all of your background information such as driving record, employment history, etc., you are told that you are an excellent candidate. They arrange for a loan and you are told WERNER will pay 80% when hired.

The last week of the school WERNER sends you a pre-employment packet and gives you a starting date. A few days after you graduate and obtain your Commercial Drivers License, someone from WERNER calls and tells you that you are not being hired for this reason or that. So far, my son has been given two different reasons.

Now you have no job and a $4800 loan to pay. The school has their money and WERNER doesn't have to pay a dime. Nice little racket they have going. So apply at your own risk!

Comments

All I can say was Werner treated me good but all recruiting departments lie to a driver that is the first thing you have to recognize about the industry. My first driving job was Stevens Transport try 3 months with a trainer then a month with two trainees together then you got your own truck. There are way worse companies than Werner just remember that.

everyone is bad mouthing werner but honestly it was the best driving job I have had I grossed 2500 a week as a trainer I got my cdl school thru swift which is 100 times worse the werner I lived n a motel for 2mths they didn't pay for *** had to go thru the cdl permit *** for a mouth even tho all I needed was the drivin part when I got to the driving part I was put in with 4 other drives in the truck and my trainer was a racist pig I new more about the program and driving then he did since I have been around it for my whole life

Feb 2009 Experience good. Werner sucked!

Enjoyed driving 48 state, BUT low pay, low miles, no money to live on, had to argue for home time. when 'no' loads, asked to drive Dollar General loads or Family Dollar.....which unloaded by hand.

Over all, drive for a smaller company that 'may' treat you right and teach you the ropes. RESEARCH, RESEARCH and TALK to other drivers before going with any company.

I have to agree with "thumper" in many ways, this is not a job for average the Joe smoe. I went through Warner 8 weeks over the road training after I got my CDL through a local school.

Now the first let me say this! this was back in 2000 I know many moons ago but I'm sure ain't *** changed. The first training was really cool and and bought all my meals and smokes and understood if was rough being a student with very limited training money you received, now the second train was from *** and truly a racist SOB even though he knew not to bring that stuff my way or he would of been put out of his own truck. I hated that trainer so much I use to hope he didn't wake up from sleeping, I know that sounds bad but its the truth.

Either way once I completed this and was assigned my truck and a dedicated sears route it wasn't to bad after that but driving is truly a acquired taste. I since went to work for other companies and even gotten a new trade but since the economy went to s h ii t, here I am back to square 1 and will need to go through this again. The difference from then to know is I know what to expect from OTR training and I still know how to push a truck down the road cause I do have 4 years solo doing this work. The only reason I'm going back back is to get current experience back under my belt and go drive local after 6 months.

My advice for for all new drivers is this! never let your dispatcher force you to drive tired when you need to sleep, and and time your with a training get a quick understanding between both of you that if you respect you as a man the same will be done and your their to learn, do act like like your a driver straight out of school cause technically your aren't until you turn those miles.

Ive been a driver for werner for 10 years with the last eight being a trainer. As a student, you should understand something about trainers.

We are people too. Some are good and some are bad. Sometimes you team up with someone where both of you really click, and sometimes it doesn't work out so well. The best advice that i could give to students would be to do an honest self evaluation.

Students who go into trucking with no more thought to this career than if they were searching for a hamburger place to work, for shouldn't even apply. Trucking is a lifestyle commitment that should not be taken lightly. Do you want a career where your life is in constant jeopardy? Can you handle the rigors of a life that has absolutely no SET sleep schedule?

Sometimes you might go for 2-3 days with no shower. Fast food, no time for physical activity, bad weather, the list of negatives continue. For many, this is an extreme lifestyle change. The many students who came to my truck who did not consider these facts end up being miserable.

It requires almost a military toughness and discipline to be a successful driver. If you don't have that kind of fortitude, you shouldn't apply. I am highly educated which is somewhat unusual for a driver, but i have embraced this lifestyle. It works for me.

I don't want to do anything else. It is my job to *** out drivers who shouldn't be on the road because of safety issues. My job would be easier if potential students would just ask themselves if they have the unusual stamina and mental toughness to be a driver. It's not for everybody.

Those who do the most complaining seem to be those who are the least qualified. The strong survive the hoops.

Good luck. Be safe.

i was hired in the fall of 2010. i was at the indy terminal.

the hotel was a joke. they would not let you eat down stairs with the other regular people.i was picked up on a tuesday nite by my new trainer, he was a owner/operator out of texas, he swear at me for the next five days, he did not stop to eat at all. we did not shower til sat.late afternoon.no hot food or coffee.the Werner company is a good to work for. my sdm/did not do his job.

i asked for another trainer! he said he could do nothing for me, so i resigned from my job in boston, i was from dekalb il.MR. C. L.

WERNER, needs to have some look into the indy area for a better hotel to stay at.the lady who was in charge of the program was no good,owner operators should not train new students. they are not company people. my sdm was a joke.the recutiar for northern il./area, his first name is Dave. he was very good at what he told the new drivers.i was very proud to be part of the werner company, the student/driver program was a let down to me.

i went thur the rite chain of command.again i asked for a new truck to my sdm.

he said no.i would love to try werner again, but i will not go to the indy terminal. good luck, mr, werner, b.wootton

WERNER TRUCKING STUDENT DRIVER PROGRAM LAWSUIT

Have you been part of Student Driver Program of Werner Trucking?

Where: Any place in the United States.

When: Any time during the past 3 years.

If so, you may be eligible to join a collective action nationwide lawsuit.

This lawsuit alleges that Werner Trucking improperly paid its employees while they attended its Student Driver Program.

Call us for a FREE consultation to see if you are eligible to be part of this collective action law suit.

There is no cost for the consultation or to join the lawsuit which is on a contingency basis.

Contact: Swartz Swidler, LLC Website: www.swartz-legal.com

Email: jswidler@swartz-legal.com Telephone: 877-529-9501 - 877-LAW-9501

I have been driving for almost 10 years. I have been with werner for the past 3 years.

The best way to make money with Werner is to try to get on one of their dedicated accounts, or after you get at least one full year of experience ,become a trainer. Policy allows you to train after 3 months but who are we kidding? You don't know enough to train another driver that soon.

Trucking is what you make it. Control your time, money, and most of all your thoughts, and you can make some money at this company.

Hey jack *** u suck werner *** to get your miles just cause u are a ***.look around just because u get like *** *** queen does not mean is a good company for its drivers

Drive for werner, if you want to make no more than, .16 a mile!!!!!!!

Good or bad,their checks don't bounce..

*** Werner enterprises & the 3 STOOGES, All 3 of Cl's kids that run that *** outfit !!! drivers get nothing but total disrespect by the management, fleet managers and so on.

Their only response to your concerns is "quite, we have a thousand other drivers waiting to take your spot...it is a privilege to be driving for this company. '

Just 2 weeks into the training program and they sent me home.why? The grades from school.

With 75% you get the license. I had 77%.

Not good enough. They should wait to see all the engineers laid off from NASA they might have 100%.watch out they are shaiztyy

i just want to really know if werner is really a good company or a bad one to be worked for.

cr england just as bad.they more of a scam than ny one else.the company you get your loan thru.they own.they own the company your lease your truk thru.all companys that you work for have good and bad points.its what works best for you. :sigh

I was thinking of going to Werner as an o/o. But after reading some of the comments they sound like a bunch of lying non caring A**#@/;s like they have at GORDON TRUCKING. STAY AWAY FROM THEM TOO.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Mers El Kebir, Oran, Algeria #286821

I was thinking of going to Werner. Have not been driving for about 5 years. From the comments I'm wondering if I should go?

Oh, this company Werner sucks. Reel you in with all promises of this and that.

And then when you go through it all. It is bs. It is all a lie. Whatever comes out of their mouths.

And then there is that kick. Acknowledgments they get from the schools and the government on your pay for training. They do have a nice little rink going on for themselves. They say @ Werner We Care.

Yeah for yourself you do. I came into this company with high hopes. Boy was I let down. It is a circle of ***.

They all lie. So, if I were you don't waste your time with Werner.

I drive for Werner and did not go through the school in Dallas. I have so far had no problems with them, they keep me running thats for sure.

And I can assure you I make good money driving for them, not to mention that the equipment I drive is a very good truck and looks good too. It's any trucking company that u will have problems with, my brother has been driving for 17 yrs and Now his sister (me) started driving, but the one about driving is YES you do litterally live in that truck. But, you have to go through a company like Werner to get the experience cause all the other companies don't want to take a chance on a newbie being out here. So, I guess I have to say thanks Werner for atleast giving me a chance.

And obviously the person that got told 2 different stories has something on his/her drivers license..

Cause Werner will just about hire anyone that has a clean record.. :)

i guess you sucked a naught *** at werner.